[ITREP] Invitation: Dawson Moodle Day 2016

Rafael Scapin rscapin at dawsoncollege.qc.ca
Mon May 16 15:36:12 EDT 2016

Dear IT Reps,

I hope this email finds you well!

I'd like to invite you to our annual Moodle Day, to take place on May 27th (Friday) from 9 AM - 3 PM in 3F.43 (the new CoLab room). The presentations will also be broadcasted by Big Blue Button (I will send you the link closer to the event).

Here is the program:

8:30 am - 9am: Coffee and Refreshments

9 AM
Blending Learning with Moodle: What Do We Need from a Learning Management System?
Alexander Enkerli (VTE)

Moodle and other Learning Management Systems (LMS) have been with us for such a long while that we may take them for granted. Yet, as we move into blended learning and distance education, it becomes increasingly important to appropriate such platforms to our own needs. How can we mix (or "blend") our teaching methods with Moodle? Apart from Moodle's technical characteristics and features, much can be said about ways to use the LMS to enhance pedagogy. For instance, some of the most important effects of the Flipped Classroom model can be achieved with very simple tools in Moodle and much can be done with default modules.
Starting from some concrete cases of Moodle usage in diverse courses over the years, this session will focus on a discussion of ways to make the platform fit in our learning and teaching practices.

9:45 AM
Getting mOER with Moodle
Ryan Moon, Cégep at distance

This presentation will look at a wide array of means to embed Open Educational Resources into Moodle using media assets from sites that offer educational material that you are free to reuse. These resources make the jump to blended learning that much more simple and may even inspire you to create your own OERs to share with the world!

10:30 AM
The Flipped Classroom Production and Application in a College Classroom Using Moodle
Patti Holter (ESL Teacher), Collège Lionel-Groulx, Ste-Thérèse, Québec

This workshop will cover how a Flipped Classroom could work in any college level classroom, which free and easy tools a regular classroom teacher could use to produce the related videos, and some ideas on how to use PoodLL as a tool in the Flipped Classroom. Of course, any questions relating to my Moodle set up and usage, Poodle experiences, and Flipped Classroom success are very welcome.

11:15 AM
Using Moodle with a Screen Reader
Rajesh Malik (Dawson Faculty)

In this presentation, I will demonstrate how blind individuals can make use of the various tools within Moodle with the help of a screen reader.  In particular, I will explain how I utilize the Assignments and Quiz features in my courses with the screen reader known as JAWS.

12 - 1:30 PM: Lunch

1:30 PM
The Best Moodle Moodle and Plugins to Boost Your Courses
Rafael Scapin, Dawson's Office of Academic Development

Moodle has a great variety of modules and plugins. This presentation will give teachers an overview of the best modules and plugins that can be used to improve their Moodle courses.

2:15 PM
Integrating Big Blue Button (an open source videoconference platform) into Moodle
Fred Dixon & Jesus Federico (BBB, Ottawa)

In order to register, please click on the link below:

http://bit.ly/moodledaydawson

Thank you!

Rafael Scapin, Ph.D.
Coordinator of Educational Technology
Office of Academic Development
Dawson College | Montreal (QC), Canada
Phone: (514) 931-8731 - Ext. 1404 | Office: 4B.3A-1
Book an Appointment<http://rscapin.youcanbook.me/>