[ITREP] INVITATION to Symposium on Cyber & Sexual Violence; Re-visioning Solutions and Strategies, April 13, 2017

reptic reptic at johnabbott.qc.ca
Thu Mar 30 16:30:02 EDT 2017

Hello IT Reps,

I would like to invite you to participate in the following symposium (see details below) taking place at John Abbott College on Thursday, April 13, 2017 starting at 2:30 p.m.

Hope to see you there!

Bye for now.

Brenda Lamb

Pedagogical Advisor - ICT | Conseillère Conseillère pédagogique - TIC

College Learning & Teaching Resource Center |Centre collégial des ressources en apprentissage et en enseignement

• : 514 457-6610, #5202

Cyber & Sexual Violence; Re-visioning Solutions and Strategies

This symposium is designed to clarify the role of the educational community in combating cyber and sexual violence on campus.  Bringing students, faculty, employees and administrators together, the focus will be on explaining the inter connections between on and offline gender-based violence and strategizing on concrete ways to de-normalize, prevent, and eliminate cyber and sexual violence.

In collaboration with the Atwater Library and Computer Centre’s Preventing Cyberviolence Project, John Abbott College is pleased to invite you to a panel discussion and workshop.

ABSTRACT:

Trolling, luring, grooming, creep shots, revenge porn, and catfishing are some of the many ways violence happens online. Cyberviolence is real and it is causing harm to people in our schools, organizations, and institutions. While any one can be a target, girls, womyn and LGBTIQQ2S people, including gender non-conforming people, are significantly affected by cyberviolence. This symposium will provide an opportunity to explore questions such as: Does online sexual violence normalize offline attitudes? What is the role of the academic community in creating safer and more inclusive spaces for work and learning? What are the challenges to getting the support needed? By engaging in this important dialogue, we hope to further develop practical strategies that can help prevent, respond to, and eliminate cyber and sexual violence on our campus.

WHEN: Thursday April 13, 2017

Panel Discussion 2:30-4:00

Interactive Workshop 4:00-5:30

WHERE: John Abbott College

Agora, Casgrain Complex

21,275 Lakeshore Road

Ste. Anne de Bellevue, QC

H9X 3L9

http://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/contact-us   Campus Map<http://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/contact-us/campus-map/>  Directions<https://www.google.ca/maps/place/21275+Rue+Lakeshore,+Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue,+QC+H9X/@45.4064036,-73.9439198,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cc93845583f4869:0xf81ccc3a971d32b9!8m2!3d45.4064036!4d-73.9417311>  Visitor Parking Information<http://www.johnabbott.qc.ca/contact-us/parking-information/#Visitor%20Parking%20Information>

In order to ensure sufficient materials are available please RSVP to Brenda Lamb at b.lamb at johnabbott.qc.ca